• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Rejuvenating Lungs - How to Expedite

IntergalacticMagic

Bluelighter
I understand lungs naturally clean themselves, however, it is long term process.

I have been smoking about 1/4 to a full pack of smokes a day for almost a year. Recently I have noticed pains, a pronounced smokers cough, and just a lack of pleasure from smoking cigarettes.

I go swimming every couple days and I have noticed a difference from my healthier days when I smoked far less. I have used the search engine and have googled but I wanted to hear from the word of mouth, Is there anyway to expedite the process of lung rejuvenation?

Also, out of curiosity, once my lungs hack up tar and it enters my mouth is it best to spit it out, or is swallowing equally beneficial.

Thanks BL.

I smoked roughly half a pack for 12 years. After several years of smoking I would occasionally cough up black/brown/gray globs of tar and it always felt great getting that stuff out.

When I quit smoking for good (after several failed attempts) for the first couple weeks I always kept a cup close to me for spitting phlegm into. I then could see with my eyes large amounts of tar collecting into the cup after a good days worth of hacking. Now my lungs feel 100%

Swallowing tar won't put you in the hospital but it may or may not affect your overall sense of dignity.

If I'm not mistaken,Vitamin A has some cilia restoring function. Do a search on Pubmed.

Also, out of curiosity, once my lungs hack up tar and it enters my mouth is it best to spit it out, or is swallowing equally beneficial.

"Equally" beneficial to what? Tar is not beneficial to begin with. Furthermore, if your body coughs or expels something by any other means - snot, phlegm, shit, etc. - it is generally advisable to not re-ingest it.

I was asking: Is Spitting "Tar" out = Swallowing "Tar" in

Your saying: Spitting "Tar" out > Swallowing "Tar" in

Thanks for all the posts, Ill read into Vitamin A

It will take about 6 months from the cessation of smoking for the cilia in your lungs to become fully functional again. When this happens, your lungs' ability to clean themselves will improve drastically. Its really important not to smoke anything during this 6 month period; just make sure to maintain good nutrition and get lots of good exercise. If you notice an excess of phlegm, a product that contains time-release guaifenesin (like Mucinex) can be beneficial in keeping that stuff out of your lungs.

In theory, swallowing tar-laden flegm should increase the risk of esophageal and cancers over spitting, but I'd imagine that this effect is trivial for those who've quit, as opposed to continuing smokers.